Silfra: Diving Between Tectonic Plates with Pick Up from Reykjavik
Experience Silfra's pristine, crystal clear water while you dive between two continents.
Silfra is a crack in the Earth ripped open by the movement of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates.
The crystal clear glacial water filling the Silfra fissure has been filtered for decades through underground lava rock, providing over 100 meters of underwater visibility. The underwater scenery that you experience in Silfra is found nowhere else on Earth, a true bucket list dive.
The diving tour of Silfra is done in a dry suit, helping you to stay warm and dry inside the suit.
You will explore the four main parts of Silfra, the big crack, Silfra hall, Silfra Cathedral and the Silfra Lagoon. You will be able to touch the 2 continents at one point, don't forget to take a photo!
Silfra is located in Thingvellir National Park which is a Unesco heritage site. The beautiful park is one of the wonders on the famous Golden circle route.
You will be picked up in Reykjavik and drive for about 45 minutes to Thingvellir National Park.
Once your group of max 3 divers has been formed, your guide will give you your drysuit and diving equipment. Your guide will explain how to use this equipment and how to ensure that you will be warm and comfortable during your tour. You can change in our heated Changing Van and the guide will help you with putting all the gear on. We recommend wearing long underwear and thick socks.
Your guide will brief you on Silfra and safety as well as the unique geological and cultural history of Thingvellir national park, and the continental tectonic plates. The briefing and gearing up takes approx 1 hour.
You will walk 5 minutes to Silfra and start your 30 - 45 minute scuba diving tour of the four main parts of Silfra: the Big Crack, Silfra Hall, Silfra Cathedral, and Silfra Lagoon. Make sure you remember to take a photo of you touching the continents, a bucket list moment.
After the dive, we warm you up with hot cocoa and cookies. This is your chance to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour before the drive back to Reykjavik.
• Silfra, Thingvellir Iceland
• Thingvellir National Park, Thingvellir Iceland
• Thingvellir, Thingvellir, South Region
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Guided diving trip
- Hot chocolate and cookies
- All necessary diving equipment, drysuit and warm undersuit
- Silfra entrance fee of 1.500 ISK per person
- Live guide that is a PADI instructor
- Heated changing van
- Souvenir photos of your snorkeling tour (available to purchase)
- Tips and gratuities
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- All participants will need to fill out a medical form before participating in the tour. Please contact local operator in order to request the form via email.
- All participant's height, weight and age information must be provided to local operator to ensure they bring the best fitting drysuit. The tour operator will contact you after booking to ask for this information.
- Participants must be at minimum 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- Participants must be minimum PADI Open Water and Drysuit certified or equivalent
- Participants must have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives.
- Minimum height is 4ft 11in (150cm). Minimum weight is 100lbs (45kg).
- Maximum height and weight is 6ft7in (200cm) and 264lbs (120kg).
- Participants must be comfortable in water and able to swim, physically fit and healthy
- Please note that that dry suits can sometimes feel quite tight and constricting
- All participants must be able to communicate in English.
- Not suitable for pregnant women
- Recommended to bring a change of clothes and warm undergarments
- IMPORTANT: If you wish to be picked up from your central Reykjavik hotel or hostel, please provide details of the hotel/hostel in the relevant field at checkout. If you prefer to meet at the tour at the BSI Bus Terminal, please note this in the hotel field at checkout
- Dry suits are worn over your own clothing. We recommend wearing long thermal underwear and thick wool socks as a base layer under the dry suit
- IMPORTANT - Participants over 60 years of age must have their doctor sign the approval form in order to participate
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 3 travelers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start time of the experience.
Cruises & Sailing
Ports of Call Tours
Checkout these other experiences on Plan Harmony