Makoko Floating Community Tour
Explore the Makoko community in Lagos, the world’s largest floating village which lives principally on stilt houses on water. Discover Lagos’s own Venice on this guided canoe ride through the watery fishing neighborhood, built on stilts overtop canals.
The area is home to at least 85,000 people, although some estimates indicate closer to 300,000 floating city dwellers. Our local tour guide will educate you about the history of the community and why they decided to settle on water. This trip gives you an opportunity to experience the day today lives of the people, how they cope with the raining season, their occupation and many more. There will be a stopover at head of the community’s (Baale) house and the primary school in the community which is also built on
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Makoko 101245, Lagos, Nigeria
Explore the Makoko community in Lagos, the world’s largest floatingYour tour begins with a visit to the Baale's (Head of the community) house and the primary school, pointing out the way of life of the community. You will then hop on your private canoe to wade through the fishing village on stilts. There is a lot to learn from this unique community and the eventual experience is different from your everyday way of life.. village which lives principally on stilt houses on water.
You will be returned to your hotel after the tour.
Duration: 3 hours
- Snacks - Snacks, water and soft drink
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Most travelers can participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start time of the experience.
Tours, Sightseeing & Cruises
Tours & Sightseeing
4 Wd Tours
Private Sightseeing Tours
Checkout these other experiences on Plan Harmony