Johnston Canyon Icewalk
Water cascades into this narrow canyon in the heat of summer, but in the winter the thundering falls freeze solid to create natural ice sculptures. Johnston Canyon is one of the most popular attractions in Banff National Park and has a network of steel catwalks built into the canyon walls that allows you to walk right along this cathedral of ice with airy views into the gorge below.
As you do, you’ll get to wander through a natural cave to gaze down at the flowering waters of the lower falls. Continue onto the awe-inducing upper falls - a glittering tower of ice that rise 30 metres above your head. These gigantic pillars of ice are the tour highlight and ice climbers can often be seen scaling the frozen columns.
This popular guided icewalk will lead you past the lower falls and on to view the breathtaking upper icefalls from the upper deck. You will also travel through prime wildlife habitat to reach the falls and learn the clues to how Johnston Canyon was formed.
This popular walk will lead you past the lower falls and to the breathtaking upper icefalls. You'll hike on steel walkways built into the canyon walls and get an airy view of the canyon below.
What to expect:
• Walking Time: 2 - 2.5 hours
• Return Distance: 3.4 miles (5.4 kilometers)
• Elevation Gain: 443 feet (135 meters)
• Johnston Canyon, Banff National Park, Alberta Canada
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- A moderate level of fitness is recommended to ensure that you enjoy the tour.
- Please note that this tour stays on the trail and does not traverse the ice due to safety concerns.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start time of the experience.
Checkout these other experiences on Plan Harmony